Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cheater's Pumpkin Muffins

I’m trying something new today.


It’s Matt’s turn to take first shift, and instead of sleeping for an extra hour (I got 7.5 last night; why be greedy?), I’m writing. There is beautiful light in the bedroom here in Norfolk, and my window overlooks a canal with a busy foot bridge and a row of charming townhouses, each unique. The sky is clear and the air is filled with pollen the sounds of birds and trolleys and distant traffic. I have coffee and one of my Cheater’s Pumpkin Muffins at my side. It almost feels like I have a tower, afterall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the hardest things for us on the road is eating well. Think about when you travel: do your eating habits change? Airport food, car trip food, vacation food... We kind of live in that culinary limbo 60% of the time - or more! Add to that the strange hours at which we often eat, and we’re faced with a real challenge in terms of eating well. 

Matt and I both quit fast food years ago, and we both love to cook, so we do eat a lot of our meals at home, where ever that may be at the time. We’ve learned to travel with a sharp knife and a cutting board, a basic spice kit, a box grater, and a few other kitchen things (plus a power strip, blackout curtains, and enough toys to fill FAO Schwartz, but that’s another post), because it’s always easier to cook when you have proper tools. Whenever we can, we prepare fresh ingredients in healthy ways, doing our best to combat the short-cut food and restaurant food as best we can. It’s not hard, really; just takes some planning and 30-45 minutes in the kitchen.

But baking is another story. I know that I *could* buy all the ingredients for muffins and cookies and things, but I feel guilty buying a big bag of flour/sugar/baking powder/etc., using it once, and then leaving it behind when we pack up. So I take advantage of one wonderful shortcut: the boxed cake mix. I love the feeling of taking something warm out of the oven, and I want Henry to grow up eating “homemade” treats, even if I have to cheat a little from time to time. 

So, with the help of Pinterest, I’ve perfected the pumpkin muffin. Endlessly variable, packing at least 1/2 a serving of veggies, and quick to throw together, even especially with a toddler helper.

Cheater’s Pumpkin Muffins

1 smashed ripe banana
1 14oz can purreed pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 box cake mix - your choice, we love spice cake
1 egg

Mix all ingredients, then fill muffin tins. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Easy as (pumpkin) pie!

Here are a few of my favorite add-in combinations:

Chocolate cake mix, nuts, chocolate chips: rich and gooey, it’s like a brownie - but with 1/2 a serving of vegetables and very little fat!

Yellow cake mix, grated carrot, chopped toasted walnuts, cream cheese frosting: your new favorite carrot cake!

Spice cake mix, oatmeal, carrots, raisins: I never feel guilty about Henry eating three of these...




The possibilities are endless! Make them as healthy or as dedadent as you like. Even if you cook in the same kitchen every day, this is a shortcut worth taking from time to time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment