Friday, May 10, 2013

A body at rest


I’ve started half a dozen new posts in the past couple weeks - here’s another - and yet I hadn’t been able to finish anything. I’m feeling very writer’s-block-ish, and I’m starting to think it has something to do with the fact that I haven’t been working for a few weeks now. A little downtime is good for the soul, but after a while things start to stagnate. 

A body at rest tends to stay at rest...


The Flow that comes with creative endeavors bleeds over into the rest of your life, into other creative endeavors, into your activity level, your diet. I’ve pretty much been “on vacation” for the past two weeks, and I’ve reached the point where my “flow” has pretty much trickled out. I’m not really writing, not working on music, not really getting much exercise other than a “walk” with Henry down to the rock pile on the corner. I’m starting to feel static, flat. 


I’ve been working on this post on and off for an hour now, between Facebook checks and coffee breaks, and something just came to me. I’ve been on vacation! Is this what vacation feels like? At first it’s great to do nothing and then after a while you’re dying to have some momentum and get back to work?

Aha! Lightbuld. I’m not stuck in a rut; I’m just coming to the end of vacation. Problem solved.

Although I will still need to figure out how to balance being a “stay at home mom” for the next two months with all the work I need to to prepare for next season. I’ve got two operas to review and three new roles to learn, including one in Russian. Not exactly something I can pick up and be ready for in a day. Some daily armchair work or note learning or practicing will have to be part of my days with Henry. We’re looking at finding a preschool / drop-in day care place for him while we’re there. He has LOVED going to school with my mom every day here in SC, so we’re thinking that a couple mornings a week would be good for him. Plus it would give me some built-in study time. Win-win, as they say. 

As with any vacation, it ends with packing the suitcases and hitting the road, so I need to start sweeping the house for all our things. But maybe after one more cup of coffee...

1 comment:

  1. CGI and special effects are bland; nothing new to see here that hasn't already been portrayed (badly) in TV sci-fi series. watch movies online mobile A walk through a rain forest is more visually compelling, even if taken on National Geographic. The alien world that's presented evokes images of a darker though ultimately lackluster Walt Disney World in a sometimes cartoonish way rather than shuttling back and forth through the multiple levels of Being in Interstellar. It represents a different reality as a blunt object in a world that cries out in desperation for a finer, simpler touch. watch movies online pro What's supposed to be frightening is too often unwittingly comical; the gravity of the mission and the vulnerability of the characters lose their narrative force as a result. (If you haven't seen it, check out The Forbidden Planet -- a film released more than sixty years ago -- for its compelling narrative and limited but, within the context of the story, realistic special effects.)

    ReplyDelete